Sunday, September 20, 2009

Thriving in D.C.

These past seven days have been enthralling, exhausting, and generally incredible. Last Sunday, I met my lovely IHP companions for the first time, and we set off for a campground in West Virginia. It was absolutely beautiful there. During our stay, I played drums around a campfire, laughed until my stomach hurt, bathed in a creek, shared countless stories, received and gave a full body massage, prepared meals, and, of course, learned a great deal. (And it's only been seven days!) There's a fair amount of homework (aka: 3 papers due this week), but the emphasis has been on transformative learning that teaches us not only about our academic subjects, but about each other and about ourselves. Both in class and out, I'm engaging with real world problems, wrestling with slippery concepts, and savoring every moment of it.

Now I'm back in D.C. and trying to find a balance between experiencing, relaxing, and recording. I've quickly realized that although I can write academically, I have a hard time articulating my own experiences. With so many thoughts surging inside, it can be a daunting task to untangle them into coherent sentences. I'll do my best to keep you updated!

With love,
Maranda

1 comment:

  1. Mandy,
    You're photos are just wonderful. What a fantastic experience! Thanks for sharing. Teri

    ReplyDelete